WRITING TASK 2: THREE ASPECTS OF AN ESSAY PLAN
There are three things that you need to think about when planning an essay:
1. How you will answer the question (your position / opinion)
2. How you will structure your essay to communicate your answer
3. The ideas that you will include in your main paragraphs
For example, let's do an essay plan for the question below:
Caring for children is probably the most important job in any society. Because of this, all mothers and fathers should be required to take a course that prepares them to be good parents. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this view?
1. My answer
I disagree with the idea.
2. Structure: four paragraphs
- Introduce the topic, and state your opinion.
- Paragraph: The first reason I disagree
- Paragraph: The second reason I disagree
- Conclude by summarising the overall answer
3. Ideas for the main paragraphs
BODY PARAGRAPH 1 - I disagree because the idea is impractical
- Many adults are too busy with work and other commitments
- They may miss sessions, and would they therefore be punished?
- It would be impossible to force prospective parents to attend
- Different parenting styles, impossible to create a course that suits everyone
BODY PARAGRAPH 2 - I disagree because it is unnecessary
- Parents have been raising children without help for thousands of years
- Parents learn from family members, their own upbringing, friends...
- They learn by instinct, trial and error, getting to know their children
- Example: correcting bad behaviour, trying different strategies